<$BlogRSDURL$>

I Don't Speak Latin

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Books

I decided to make a book list this summer.

May:
In May, I read only Bill Bryson. I can't wait to find the Australian one... and the British one... etc...

Notes from a Big Country - Bill Bryson
- Articles from a column Bill Bryson wrote for a British newspaper about life in America. Enough said.

The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson
- Bill goes on a road trip across the USA, searching for the perfect 50s-movie town. An amusing look at the differences between the North and South, the East and West, and Winnebagos. heeheeee

Neither Here Nor There - Bill Bryson
- Bill Bryson goes to Europe. He goes from Iceland down to Italy and back through Eastern Europe. Very interesting and funny (of course). I love his running commentary on the parking styles in different countries and cities ^^

A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
- My favourite of his that I've read. Bill Bryson decides to hike the Appalachian Trail (which runs from South Georgia to Maine (!). He brings his friend Katz, who accompanied him on his first excursion to Europe in Neither Here nor There. Katz is hilarious. It's a very very funny book.

June:
Crime month?

A Ghost in the Machine - Caroline Graham
- From a series of books that are the basis for the TV show Midsomer Murders. I found it a little to difficult to understand sometimes because of all the Brit-speak. A very good ending. Highly recommended.

Missing Joseph - Elizabeth George
- Really fantastic. Some of it was brutal and graphic, and when I finished it, I had to switch to a different genre.

The Boy Next Door - Meggin Cabot
- I a really good book for frivolity :) Lots of fun to read.

Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson
- He goes to England and explores. Hilarious as always ^^ His sarcasm blows my mind: "By the time I reached the East Cliff, a neighbourhood (u!!) of medium-sized hotels perched high above a black sea, I was soaked through and muttering. The one thing to be said for Bournemouth is that you are certainly spoiled for choice with hotels. Among the many gleaming palaces of comfort that lined every street for blocks around, I selected an establishment on a side-street for no reason other than that I rather liked its sign: neat capitals of pink neon glowing beckoningly through the slicing rain. I stepped aside, shedding water, and could see at a glance it was a good choice - clean, nicely old-fashioned, attractively priced at (pounds) 26 B & B according to a notice on the wall, and with the kind of smothering warmth that makes your glasses steam and brings on sneezing fits. I decanted several ounces of water from my sleeve and asked for a room for two night. 'Is it raining out?' the reception girl asked brightly as a filled in the registration card between sneezes and pauses to wipe water from my face with the back of my arm. 'No, my ship sank ans I had to swin the last seven miles' 'Oh, yes?' she went on..."

July:
Nothing so far...